Skip to Content
- 5 min
- 15 min
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) flour
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) Cathedral City Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Dash of brown ale
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 slices of bread
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chutney (flavour of your choice)
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and mix thoroughly. Leave to cool.
- Bring the milk to a boil, and then whisk it into the flour mixture. Bring to a boil once again, whisking to make sure it does not burn and that it is smooth.
- Add the grated Cathedral City Mature Cheddar Cheese, beat in and remove from heat. Meanwhile, toast the slices of bread.
- Add a dash of ale and the mustard powder to the cheese sauce. Season well with salt and pepper and beat in the egg yolks.
- Spoon sauce onto the slices of toast and grill until bubbling. Remove and serve with Worcestershire sauce and chutney.