- 10 min
- 30 min
- 2 medium yellow onions, minced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) canola oil
- 60 ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) softened butter
- 4 slices of white bread
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fig jam
- 4 slices of Cathedral City Mature Cheddar Cheese slices
- In a pot, caramelize the onions in oil for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is syrupy. Add pepper to taste.
- Spread half the butter on one side of a slice of bread. Top the unbuttered side with fig jam, caramelized onions, and two slices of Cathedral City Mature Cheddar cheese.
- Place the pieces of bread together and butter the outsides.
- In a non-stick pan, cook the sandwich over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until golden, then flip it over.
- Lightly press the top to flatten slightly. Cook until both sides are golden and the cheese is melted.
- Let grilled cheese rest for 2 minutes. Cut in half diagonally and serve.