Cheddar, Apple, Sage Scones
- 15 min
- 45 min
- 8 scones
- 560 ml (2 ¼ cup) flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sugar
- 3 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 100 g (1/2 cup) cold butter, cubed
- 125 ml (½ cup) thick cream (cold) + extra for brushing the scones
- 2 medium apples, unpeeled, grated, core removed
- 250 ml (1 cup) Cathedral City Mature Cheddar cheese, grated + extra for topping
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh sage, chopped (+ 8 additional leaves for garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse again, until the butter is the size of peas and evenly distributed. Add the cream and pulse once or twice until a dough begins to form.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and using your hands, gently mix in the apples, Cathedral City Mature Cheddar cheese, and sage. Transfer the dough onto the baking sheet and gently shape into a ¾-inch-thick circle. Divide into 8 pieces and place a sage leaf on top of each. Brush the scones and sage leaves with the cream. Top with the leftover cheese.
- Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Transfer the scones to a cooling rack and let cool.